08 September 2008

Umeno

Agamemnonstraat 27
Amsterdam

Today I wanted to write about a place Joppe and I have been talking about every since our visit over two months ago. Umeno.

Umeno is a Japanese restaurant in a residential neighborhood of Amsterdam which from the outside looks a bit like the local bar you don’t dare enter. Inside is a nearly appointed, small restaurant with a sushi bar and all Japanese staff — notable in Amsterdam as the majority of Japanese restaurants are run by Chinese people. As Japanese restaurants in Amsterdam are notoriously expensive, we ordered carefully. However I must say that every dish we ate was so delicious that we nearly licked our plates clean! (OK, really it was me that licked my plate clean. And Joppe’s plate. Joppe just gazed at me laughing.) The sushi, prepared by a trained sushi chef, was fresh and artfully presented. Compared to the well-known and Michelin-starred Yamazato restaurant in Hotel Okura, Umeno is about half the price yet has the same level of quality. A new favorite for us.

No comments: